Personal Musings

Personal Musings

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Walking to the Store

   




 All my life I've walked to the store.  Always.  When I was little and we lived in Georgia, I went to the Oakland Park Shopping Center and my favorite stores were the Piggly Wiggly, an ice cream shop, a five and dime store and the pharmacy where the comic book rack lived.

   My mom trusted me to go places as long as there was a sister or two along and she even let me walk to Miller's Department Store the August I was nine so I could buy some t-shirts.  I picked one out and it was my favorite all summer and fall.

    I was buying french fries at the Piggly Wiggly when two hippies came by.  I know they were hippies because they had long hair and one of them had a fringe jacket.

    One of the guys smirked at me and said, "Right on!"  I only figured out why years later.  My t-shirt had Cheech & Chong's Big Bamboo rolling papers on the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment